Beige and Peach to the (Wardrobe) Rescue

Tricky, tricky beige. Is there a simpler, yet more confounding colour to build an outfit around? I was attracted to this skirt for the turquoise and coral details, but I rarely wear it as I lack tops in *the right shades* of turquoise and coral. I'm sure you've experienced similar wardrobe issues. Enter, a beige sleeveless tunic.

Oooh, exciting.
 Quite possibly the ugliest top I own, this nylon zip-back vintage number is an indispensable layering piece when I need a neutral.
 Ta-da! Suddenly, we have an outfit. Is the match perfect? No, of course not, but the top bridges the beige and coral in the skirt just enough to pull everything together. I'm happy I finally found a way to wear this silk skirt as it has been hanging on the back of my bedroom door seeking inspiration since early spring. Sometimes I need to live with a piece of clothing before wearing it. I have things I purchased years ago still seeking a proper outfit, but I've learned it is better to wait than wear something I'll be displeased with, just to get it worn. Obviously, I have plenty of storage space, but I'm also selective about items I keep around. If I didn't love this skirt it would have been moved along by now. If you do however love something, give it time-you never know when a beige tunic will come into your life to make you look at your clothes with fresh eyes.
The three bangles at the back are wood, painted to look like cloisonne. The two bracelets at the front are genuine. The brooch is a hand-painted ceramic I bought for .59 cents last week at Thrift World.

Outfit Particulars:
Silk skirt-Hand-Me-Ups (I think)
1960's nylon tunic-Hand-Me-Ups
Bolero-Goodwill
Gold vintage shoes-Goodwill
Vintage Gaymode handbag-Goodwill
Belt-Thrift World
Brooch-Thrift World
Painted bangles-Goodwill
Vintage clip earrings-New Life Thrift
Clamper and bangle-Both Hand-Me-Ups
Fragrance-none, kiddo's asthma is kicking up again. He's never been triggered by fragrance, but why risk it?

This dress is on the peach side of beige.
 It really is too big, and as a result looks funny in the arms. I appreciate a roomy dress as much as the next person, but I don't like being swamped by my clothes. Still, it was worth wearing just to show how well peach/beige works with brown.

I've done the peach/brown thing before-this was back in 2014
What can I say? I'm a creature of habit.
Summer before last, I wore it with brown and blue.


 But in the heat, nothing beats keeping it simple. I thought about adding a jacket, and the thought better of it.

Outfit Particulars:
1970's polyester dress-Goodwill
1960's straw bag-garage sale
Marbled bakelite bangle-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintage earrings-Etsy
1970's bracelet-Hand-Me-Ups
Hat-K Mart
Vintage sandals-Sequels
Hard-to-see coral brooch-Thrift World
This grasshopper was hanging about as we took photos. I can't tel if he's shedding skin or if he has injured wings. Any grasshopper experts out there? We set him down in the nasturtiums and he's stll hanging out hours later.

In other news...

We've been spending the week finalising our State Fair entries as the paperwork needs to be in by the 9th. The past week was spent adjusting recipes, working out what needs to baked with sponsor's products (flour, sugar, yeast, etc.), and setting a baking schedule. As with most things, good time management is a must. Some things like decorated cookies, tea breads, and candies do better made ahead so they can age. We'll get those items out of the way, and then work out what can go in the oven as we wait for yeast breads to rise, etc. We took this approach last year and I was ever so glad we did. Having a large wall calendar to consult each day makes it seem so much less overwhelming. I think Danny has around 50 entries (some are jams/chutney/etc. that were completed months ago) some requiring more hands-on time than others. Mapping your time out step-by-step saves a good deal of frustration...and let's face it, frustration is best reserved for icing that won't set, or breads that won't release from the "non-stick" parchment. You can't anticipate everything, so best not to use up your patience on the avoidable.

I can't believe school will be starting again in just over a month. We have an interesting year set up, and I'm looking forward to doing some more in-depth studies with Danny. I'm probably going to regret the piano lessons, but I feel bad that we have a perfectly good piano sitting in a corner collecting dust. Hopefully, Danny will appreciate it when he's older. I still sort of have childhood trauma from my mum screaming at my sister from the next room, "COUNT!" as she'd practise her scales, etc. I won't do that-I'm just going to get ear-plugs, and some extras for the neighbours. Can't possibly be worse than the kid across the street learning to play the drums.

I'll leave you with this little blissed-out fellow who clearly isn't suffering from allergies or contest anxieties (not my photo).

I'm off to check the dried fruit supplies. Have a lovely weekend.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80's Does 30's

Favourite Autumn Blouses