Rudely Gesturing Squirrels
I had written this post before the latest terror attack in the UK happened, so I wanted to point out that the whimsical tone isn't exactly syncing with my mood at the moment. To be honest, I don't know if I'm angry or sad. I'd hope it is the latter, but it is difficult as a parent to once again watch young people out living their lives being targeted for violence. I don't know why it makes a difference-murder is murder, but it seems so much crueler directed at people just starting out. I want to try and understand how hopelessness turns to murder, but I can't. I do know it isn't something inherent in an ethnicity, religion, or economic status that persuades people to carry out these acts-and that's terrifying. We want simple explanations of the sort we get from politicians (which have become all that much simpler in both senses of the word thanks to the limitations of Twitter) so we can be reassured these actions are the behaviour of a cultural and ideo...

Comments
Post a Comment