Thanksgiving Weekend



 We have a long holiday weekend in the US for Thanksgiving, Not being the sort of people that enjoy shopping as a contact sport, we stay away from the crowds and enjoy the holiday at home, or at one of our many beautiful parks.

When Danny was small, I'd set up the artificial Christmas tree and let him spend Thanksgiving day decorating it. That worked to keep him busy, and out of my way as I prepared the evening meal. It  became a family tradition to put up the tree and decorations on Thanksgiving day, and this year was no exception. We had a rather simple meal, went for a long walk, and enjoyed all of Danny's hard work decorating the house. I never enjoyed Thanksgiving until all the relatives either died, or moved far away. I certainly love it now! I know that sounds heartless-just like my family were. I don't miss being insulted, bullied, and treated like shit generally. Anyway, we had a lovely day, and now the house is decorated without my lifting a finger.
I treated myself to this crushed velvet pleated skirt a few weeks ago at K Mart. It was very inexpensive, but worn with better pieces I think it works as a holiday wardrobe staple. The velvet top was something I bought at Marshall Field's back in the early 90's. The over-sized 80's belt was picked up in the thrifts last year.
 Outfit Particulars:
Skirt- K Mart
Belt-Hand-Me-Ups
Velvet top- Field's, 90's
Jacket-Goodwill
Brooch-K Mart
Handbag-Antique mall
Shoes-Goodwill
Fragrance-l' Origan
 More velvet! I wore this to Film Streams to watch the live in HD simulcast of the Saturday opera from the Met. It was The Exterminating Angel. I didn't hate it (everyone else seemed to) but I can say I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to sing it! That must be hell on the performers. Anyhoo, it was short, and what more can you ask of an opera? ??
I found this wool cardigan new with tags a few weeks ago at Goodwill. It is a beautifully made piece, but I don't like how it fits, so will be moving it along. I can only wear a cardigan if it is cropped or over-sized. This sort of thing just accentuates my curved spine and messed-up shoulder. It pains me to let good wool go, but I know I would never wear it again. I'm not in love with the jacket either, but I think shortening the sleeves might resolve the issues.
Outfit Particulars
Vintage velvet trousers-Can't remember
Velvet jacket-Goodwill
Boots-Goodwill
Handbag-Goodwill
Beret- K Mart
Monet necklace-bought it new, can't remember where (early 2000's)
Cardigan-Goodwill

Uh oh.
Time to throw out the pumpkins. We've gone from freezing temperatures to a record-setting 70 degrees F. There's only so much a poor pumpkin can take!
 These earrings get a lot of love. They came from a costume shop as part of a belly-dancer's costume. I find the best accessories (and tights) in those places. They're very lightweight despite the size.

 Another layered-look for unpredictable weather.  I shed the jacket as soon as the sun came out. Those are beads at the edge of the skirt and they made a "twacking" sound each time they hit my boots.
 Outfit Particulars:
Skirt-Filene's 90's
Crochet sweater- Kohls, a few years ago
Jacket-part of a suit
Bangles-Goodwill
Cinnabar bangle-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings Nobbie's
Handbag-Goodwill
Boots-Goodwill
Beret-K Mart
Fragrance-Balenciaga l' essence

Hope your week is going along swimmingly.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80's Does 30's

Favourite Autumn Blouses