Think Spring

Only about 90 days to go until Opening Day!

So, we had a little snow for Christmas??. It was great. The cold freeze that followed has been less fun, but you don't live in Nebraska if you can't take a little cold. Our snow is so dry you can't make a proper snowball out of it.

The jacket I'm wearing is a fun vintage piece by Nolan Miller part of his Dynasty Collection. He designed the clothes for the show, and I could just see Joan Collins wearing this as she throws around a baseball in the snow. "Here Krystal-CATCH you bitch!" Anyway, I adore the jacket big sequin trimmed shoulders and all.

Santa brought our Cubs fan some new attire.
He also brought him a peanut allergy challenge that was negative, which was the best gift of all. So no peanut allergy at all, and we need to go back and do the almond one, but then he's clear. We'll never know for certain what he reacted to in the tahini all those years ago, but it wasn't sesame or peanut (mould? Pesticide? ). The whole thing has been fascinating-how you can have a positive skin test and still not be allergic. It wasn't easy seeing him sit there eating peanut butter, even in a hospital setting, but it is done. It took about 3 hours as they only give a small bit at a time and then check your vitals every 20 minutes. So anyway, I agreed on a trip to Chicago this Spring so he can go to a baseball game. There aren't many reasons I'd go back to Chicago, but for my Cubs fan, I'll do it.
Still went nut-free on the Christmas cake though. The icing is nothing but butter and icing sugar with a bit of food colour. I was able to roll it out like fondant. It tastes better than fondant, and is less work.
 There was limpa bread (shown before baking)
And fish paella,
and leftover fish in pies. My favourite thing this year was the Christmas cabbage...
So bright in dreary winter.
 Danny has a new tea mug with a surprise...
Isn't that cute? Mr. ETB bought it for him. My gifts were on the hilarious side. A couple perfume bottles, which were normal enough, but then he bought me a Guerlain compact with pressed powder...for dark complexions. It is about time Guerlain started offering a more inclusive range, but as someone that often finds ivory shades too dark, I obviously don't need the darkest shade they make! If you looked up, "Pasty-faced white lady or, deathly white pallor" in the dictionary you'd find my picture??. Ah well, the compact is nice. I really am pleased Guerlain is doing better with a range of skin tones-that always bugged me that they didn't.

I bought Mr. ETB a beautifully carved spurtle. It bothered me that he eats porridge every single day, and didn't own a spurtle. So that's remedied.
I wasn't kidding about the cold. Today we had-9 F. and this weekend they are expecting -17 F. I don't know what that is Celsius...about -21? Anyway, it sounds like a horrible way to spend New Year's Eve so thank goodness I'm too old to bother going out! We'll probably have a mini-Hogmany bash because I need an excuse to bake a black bun and drink too much. If it ever warms up I might wash my hair and do some proper photos but until then, I'm going to take advantage of everyone looking like crap in this cold.
Play ball!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80's Does 30's

Favourite Autumn Blouses