The Elusive Boden and an Effie's Heart

* This is another post from earlier in the spring that I forgot to publish. Better late than never!


I wear this dress more than just about anything in my summer wardrobe, yet somehow I never manage to get photos of it. I wasn't about to let it slip through yet again, so we stopped in front of Hand-Me-Ups for a quick photo. Not the best photo, but beggars can't be choosers. It was the end of a very warm day.

Yes, the dress is ill-fitting, and the top needs to be held shut with a brooch. The Empire waist makes me look pregnant, and the length is dowdy...but I love it. I mean, seriously love it. Cool, comfortable, fully lined in a non-clinging cotton-Boden might have a reputation for being a bit middle class, but they do make nice clothes. The zipper works. That shouldn't be noteworthy, but with the way clothes are made today, it is. The print is just beautiful./ The top doesn't absolutely need pinning, but I'd feel funny wearing it without. I don't think that's a fault of the dress, just me not wanting to go flopping out all across Omaha.
Outfit Particulars:
Boden dress-Goodwill
Shoes-K Mart
Vintage purse-Goodwill
Vintage blue and orange clampers-both Thrift World
Silver and orange clamper bracelet-Hand-Me-Ups
Earrings-Thrift World
Fragrance-Fragile (something about iris and ginger feels right on a muggy day)

So what's in the bag from Hand-Me-Ups? A Vera tablecloth. I haven't decided if it will remain a tablecloth or become a skirt. There's enough there for a shift dress or a playsuit., Decisions, decisions. Anyway, I'm just thrilled to finally get a photograph of one of my favourite dresses.

Now, to Effie, or in this case, Effin.
 I was suckered in by the cute button details on the front and sleeves. I know shirts made of cotton jersey don't work for me but..,.cute buttons. When will I learn? Still, let's talk about the positives. As already mentioned, the buttons are a nice touch. Decent sized pockets, cute print, easy care. Would I pay the $100.00 USD this retails for? Absolutely not (it is a bloody tee shirt for heaven's sake!) but the .49 cents dug out of my purse to buy it at Goodwill was probably a deal. I plan to remove the buttons an make a skirt out of the bottom half. The waist hits me wrong, and a tight belt wouldn't work, nor would a loose one. At that point, I admit defeat and get out the sewing shears. I do really like the print-and the buttons.
 "Hey lady, nice buttons on that dress."

 We stopped by the park to see how things were after the severe storms we've been having. Most of the blooms are off the trees, and there's deep crevices in the path where the water runs downhill, but otherwise it seemed to fare okay.
Outfit Particulars:
Effie's Heart dress-Goodwill
Naturalizer shoes-Goodwill
Vintage straw bag-Goodwill
Belt-Thrift World
Bamboo bangles-Hand-Me-Ups
Bakelite and lucite bangles-all over
Vintage necklace-Hand-Me-Ups
Vintagfe ruby crystal earrings-New Life Thrift
Fragrance-Versace Baby Blue Jeans (Nicer than I expected! A little like Imperiale. Thanks, Emily!)
The college next door has a small community garden. I love to see their progress with it (it varies year-to-year with the students).
One of those raised wooden planters has carrots growing! What a novel way to do that. I've never successfully grown carrots, so that's something to consider for next year. Personally, with all the bunnies in the park, I'd put up a fence-but that's me. I did see a pair of birds sitting on the cornstalks...waiting. Birds and bunnies ain't stupid-they know where to find food.
Danny tells me this is a firefly, out in the daytime. Who knew? Well, he did, obviously. 


*Update-here's the tablecloth in use.


I can't promise it will remain a tablecloth, but it does look nice on the table. 

Have a great weekend!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

80's Does 30's

Favourite Autumn Blouses